The Best Way to Make Popcorn Without Oil in Microwave
I wasn't a big fan of popcorn. That's because I never thought it of a healthy snack. But it's on us, as we have commercialized it like everything else. We turned a natural vegan snack to a complete junk food by adding all the things like oil and whatnot.
Yes, it added the flavor but certainly compromises with a healthy diet. And to be honest, without all the extra stuff popcorn still tastes great. So, why not take the oil out of the picture? But I know, some of you're doubting the idea and having questions like how to make popcorn without oil in microwave? Don't worry I've got all the answers and more right here.
Recipes to prepare popcorn without oil:
It might still seem like a far-fetched idea. Preparing microwave popcorn without oil, that sounds impossible, doesn't it? Actually, not impossible but mostly it doesn't seem to be a tempting idea. Meanwhile, also the thought of eating greasy junk food style doesn't sit well with the health.
Let me tell you one thing, just have an open mind and go with the flow to try some of the recipes below. If all goes well, you never have to worry about eating popcorns ever.
The Best Plain but Delicious Popcorn:
The first step is to choose the type of popcorn to prepare. Go with the natural popcorn kernels. They contain very few fat so if you're on a diet, even such subtle things can make a difference.
Once you got the popcorn kernel, you're ready to make the thing. To start, grab a medium-to-large pot and pour 1/3 cups of the popcorn kernel in it. This is enough to get at least 2 quarts of popcorn. But if there are more people to feed, then the best way to move is cooking the thing in batches. Now, some of you might be thinking why not increase the kernel amount in the first place. That's because the popcorn needs room to pop. Plus, can't take a large pot as it won't fit in the microwave.
Now, you need to lid the pot and take it to the microwave. From here, the machine will take over while you sit and wait. However, there are some things that need to be done. Like choosing the perfect temperature and time to pop those kernels in the pot in the pot. Once that's done, you can rest your laurel and enjoy the music of popping inside.
After the popcorn is prepared, all required is to enjoy them. And I can bet, it will taste as good as it does with the oil if not better. If you wish, you can add some salt on top of the popcorn, but if you're trying to eat healthily, it's better to avoid the slightest pinch of salt.
Popcorn with some flavor:
- The first recipe was quite simple but I know not everyone can enjoy popcorn that way. So, don't worry as I've got something more up to your speed. For this one, get some popcorn kernel as usual, but this time you will need some other ingredients. To add in the popcorn, get some kosher salt and some butter.
- For the second part, get a bowl. Obviously, make sure the bowl is microwave proof to avoid any sort of accident. Now, take one spoon of butter to the bowl and then add 1/4 teaspoon salt to it. Then put it in the microwave and let it sit for at least 30 seconds to melt the butter.
- Now, take the bowl out of the microwave and add 1/3 kernel to the melted butter. Then start stirring the kernel. Mix it well to make sure every bit of it gets covered with salt and the butter. This step will make sure the popcorn gets all the flavors it needs.
- Once you're done with the mixing, add a lid on top of the bowl and again put it in the microwave. Now, fix a time to let the kernel pop. Usually, 3-5 minutes is enough to get the popcorns done. However, if that doesn't work for some reason, start with a trial batch to make sure the perfect time to cook those kernels properly.
- When they're done, just dig right away. No need to add anything as the popcorn already got the buttery, salty flavor from the mixing of the kernels. You just enjoy the flavors in your mouth.
Tips to help with the process:
- You can use a brown paper bag instead of a bowl to prepare the popcorn in the microwave.
- The corn pops even after its off the heat. So, always let the lid on for a couple more seconds unless you want to see some flying popcorn across the kitchen.
- Plain popcorn holds the crunch much longer than mixed with other ingredients. So, if you want to savor them through a long movie, then don't add butter and stuff.
- If your micorwave isn't working or you don't own one then still you can enjoy delicious popcorn. Just follow the recipes like before, but this time instead of a microwave, you'll be using a regular stove.
Everyone thinks it is a bad idea to prepare popcorn without oil. Even I wasn't at first that excited about it. It is quite unusual but once you get to try it, I think you would prefer your popcorn this way more. And as you can see, I've got two good recipes where there is no sign of oil at all.
However, in the first one, the hero of the recipe is the popcorn. It is more about the natural flavor of popcorn. On the other hand, the other recipe is for those who like a little more lingering tastes of it. But either way, you get to experience popcorn in a much healthier way. So, here we are, started with the question how to make popcorn without oil in microwave? And hopefully, now you got your answer.